Friday, March 14, 2008

This inflaiton report scares me.

Quoting myself from the comments section of my last post:
...Japan had plenty of missed opportunities in the early to mid 90s to prevent the depression from getting out of hand. It was only when the inflation rate went to zero...that it really became intractable.
Speak of the devil, and he shall arrive appear. I'm pretty sure we'll get positive core inflation in March (and there's no question that we'll get positive headline inflation), but seeing zero even in one month (as in today's February CPI report), while commodity prices are rising at unprecedented rates, is pretty disturbing. Both the 12-month CPI inflation rate and the 3-month annualized rate are 2.3%, which is right in the middle of the normal range. This is disturbing because it seems to indicate that business don't even have enough pricing power to pass on part of the huge cost increases they are facing in energy and materials. What happens when commodity prices stop rising? I don't think I want to find out.

Labels: , , , ,